EXAM – electronic exam software for higher education
EXAM is a modern software, developed and used by a consortium of Finnish Universities and Universities of Applied Sciences (27) with the support from the Finnish IT Centre for Science – CSC and Valamis Ltd, to be used fororganizing electronic exams in higher education. Its primary purpose of use is in electronic exam studios monitored by cameras, but also other means of electronic exams can be carried out (e.g. BYOD).
A supported system for different types of exams
- EXAM software supports fixed and randomly varying essay question exams, automatically checked multiple choice question exams, fill in the blanks -questions and combination of these.
- EXAM supports personal exams (such as maturity exams) and public exams
- The system supports several assessment scales in questions (points, pass/fail, numerical)
- The system has a question bank for questions to be stored in and shared with examiners
Each user role has its own desktop view (essential information of the role included). Roles are teacher, student and admin. Automated backup savings are done during the exam (once every minute) and status information is transmitted during the exam process to relevant roles. Admin gets statistical information to follow processes.
Instructions for students and teachers
Exam visit means that you can take your own university’s exam in another university’s Exam room. Read the instruction for EXAM visit in English carefully before enrolling for an EXAM.
At the moment EXAM visit is possible in the following institutions:
NB! Currently some universities may restrict or prevent EXAM visit because of the exceptional circumstances caused by the coronavirus. For the current information check the table of this webpage and the column titled ”Tenttivierailu” (EXAM visit).
Åbo Akademi University (the same EXAM with University of Turku)
University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio and Joensuu campus
University of Helsinki
University of Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences
Karelia Univeristy of Applied Sciences (EXAM guide)
LAB University of Applied Sciences, Lahti and Lappeenranta
University of Lapland
LUT University, Lappeenranta, Lahti and Mikkeli
University of Oulu
Oulu University of Applied Sciences
Satakunta University of Applied Sciences, Pori campus
Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences
South Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences (XAMK), Kotka, Mikkeli and Savonlinna
University of Turku
University of Vaasa
Interface and information integration
Exam supports following integrations:
- Recognition of the user and role are carried out with FunetEduPerson scheme based on Shibboleth federation identity solutions for Finnish Universities. The minimum requirements for the system are users name, role and organization information plus student/staff ID.
- Study module/course description is retrieved from the student information systems (SIS) when creating an exam for that course. This information can be manually edited and completed where necessary.
- Exam’s current studio reservations can be retrieved for selected personell (entry points, monitoring)
- The grades can be transferred from Exam to SIS for registering
Technical realization and architecture
- The service has been implemented with client-server architecture. The connection between server and client end communicates via REST-interface.
- Server – Play framework with its components
- Within the server, the following units can be seen: data model, controllers and Deadbold 2 authorization module
- Client interface libraries and other components:
- Interface: AngularJS-library
- Interface adjustments: Twitter Bootstrap
- Visual notifications: Toastr-library
- Interface icons: FontAwesome-library
- Editor: CKEditor, in which the writing design and mathematical formulas adding do with TeX editor (uses MathJax library)
Chair of the EXAM-consortium
Tuula Heide, University of Eastern Finland
+358 40 064 5936
firstname.lastname () uef.fi
Karoliina Sipovaara, CSC – IT Center for Science Ltd
+358 46 920 3460
firstname.lastname () csc.fi
Lauri Pohjanen, CSC – IT Center for Science Ltd
+358 50 336 9342
firstname.lastname () csc.fi